The Gwinnett Symphony Musical Arts Consortium (GSMAC) is a 501 (C) (3), Non-Profit Musical Arts Organization, currently registered as Gwinnett Symphony Orchestra and Chorus Association, Inc., and is comprised of talented adult and youth musicians. GSMAC provides outstanding educational performances of classical and popular music for the diverse metro Atlanta community. Our ensembles include the Symphony Orchestra, Symphony Chorus, Ballet Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, Jazz Orchestra and Youth Orchestra.
We exist to cultivate and promote music with its transformative power to unite and enrich the lives of youth and adults in our vastly diverse, multicultural community.
The GSMAC was founded in 1996 by Mrs. Leslie Dedo, wife of the late Dr. William “Bill” Dedo, and Mrs. Nancy Rogers. These Gwinnett ‘homeschool’ moms were devoted to music education not only for their nine children, combined, but for ALL Gwinnett youth who did not have the opportunity to play in a school band and orchestra. These budding musicians became the “charter members” of the then, Gwinnett Children & Youth Symphony. With backgrounds in music education and a passion for educating youth in music, conductors Rick Smith and Robert Trocina were asked by Mrs. Dedo and Mrs. Rogers to “take this new organization to great heights” and to give the youth of Gwinnett County the opportunity to study and perform quality classical and popular music for the residents of our great community.
In the past 20 years GSO has:
- Performed Major Works with Premier guest artists, including seminars or master-classes about the works performed
- Performed publicly before thousands of people both indoor and out
- Established an education division that includes a comprehensive and continuing music education for hundreds young people each year, enhancing the music education received by the youths in their individual schools
- Organized an Education Side-By-Side Concert annually that allows the youth to perform with adults in a concert dedicated to the pursuit of excellence
- Held frequent master classes by our Professional Community Musicians at area schools to expose our youth to the various musical styles and instruments
Our future plans include:
- Sponsoring an annual music competition and presentation in conjunction to promoting the economic benefits and the diverse quality of musical life in the greater Gwinnett community
- Establishment of the GSO Endowment to insure the continuity and future growth of our organization
- Providing expanded outreach performances into the surrounding areas to reach those people who otherwise would not be exposed to the cultural enrichment of the GSO performing groups
- Providing and sponsoring in-service workshops for area musicians and teachers
- Efforts to bring the whole of the Greater Atlanta area performing arts community more closely together to improve communication among the groups and to better coordinate the activities of the groups for the growth of the arts in the greater Gwinnett community.